Photos of the newly-restored building and of the dedication ceremony, October 29, 1995.
Click on the "thumbnail" pictures below to see larger images.
Overview of Danbury rail yard and Union Station, taken from the top of the Patriot Garage. Two Metro-North commuter trains occupy the loop tracks that surround the yard, while the Danbury Railway Museum's rolling stock is on the yard tracks. Union Station is visible behind the two FL-9s in New Haven colors near the top of the picture.
The front of the station, decorated with red, white, and blue bunting and with new landscape plantings, ready for the dedication speeches. The building hasn't looked this good in many years. It's been restored to its original 1903 appearance as much as possible.
The Sons of Portugal Marching Band arrives to open the dedication ceremony, having marched to the Station through downtown Danbury.
The ceremony is about to begin, with a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by the band.
72KB JPEG 85KB JPEG
Peter Cornwall, president of the Danbury Railway Museum, welcomes the public to the Museum's new home. Danbury's Mayor, Gene Eriquez, is seated behind Peter.
57KB JPEG 53KB JPEG
Mayor Gene Eriquez speaks about the restored building and the city's commitment to its downtown neighborhoods.
The public enjoys traditional Fall refreshments served under one of the newly-rebuilt platform canopies. One of DRM's historic coaches, repainted to its one-time Reading colors, is visible in the background.
DRM HomeROS Last modified: Thu Jan 11 21:03:28 1996