120 White Street
Danbury, Connecticut, USA
203-778-8337 203-778-1836 (fax)
On March 4, 1999, The Danbury Railway Museum purchased it's first steam locomotive, former Boston & Maine 2-6-0 No. 1455, from the defunct Cape Cod Railroad. On March 20, 2000 it arrived in Danbury after traveling from the Cape via special moves over Bay Colony, CSX and Housatonic Railroads.
No. 1455 was one of the last B&M steam locomotives to operate. In 1956 it still ran on commuter trains out of Boston's North Station to Clinton, MA. Shortly after, it was acquired by locomotive collector F. Nelson Blount and trucked to his Edaville Railroad, near Plymouth, MA. When Edaville was closed several years ago, the engine was again trucked to live rails and towed on it's ownwheels to Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod, for repairs that never came.
This locomotive was originally turned out of the Manchester Works in 1907 as No. 100. It was changed with all others in 1911 and became 1455. It was used for both freight and passenger service during it's long active life on the B&M.
There is still a long way to go. We really need additional donations... whether they are individual or corporation.
SEND YOUR INDIVIDUAL OR SPONSORING DONATIONS NOW !!!
More info and status updates on it's restoration will be posted as received.