February 2007 Presidentís Report
By Ira Pollack
††††††††††† This month Iíd like to share with you some of my plans and expectations for the upcoming season. As always, we have many projects before us both in the building and in the yard.
††††††††††† This year I would like to concentrate on projects for which we already have funds allocated, in particular the #1455, #1402, trackwork to the turntable and track #42.
††††††††††† 1. #1455 Boston & Maine steam locomotive† This year weíll mark the 100th anniversary of the manufacture of the #1455, and we would like to have a celebration noting the history of the locomotive. I would like to see a general cleanup of the engine and painting where necessary. Although we arenít restoring the #1455 to operating condition at this time, we must continue to stabilize its car body and protect it from the environment as much as possible. Carolyn Taylor has volunteered to be project leader to coordinate the work involved. I wish Carolyn well in this grand endeavor. She is going to need your support and help on this very popular Museum artifact.
††††††††††† 2. #1402 RS11 locomotive)† Work on this project is continuing under J.R Mitchell. He has meticulously been working on the car body, but obviously with such a large project he needs as much help as can be provided. Please join his team and help in this grand project.
††††††††††† 3. Trackwork to the turntable lead switch and beyond† This is and will be a hard project to undertake and succeed with, but it is vital to replace these integral parts for our operation. I plan to begin this work this spring and need all able bodied help on the weekends. The more hands the better for this project.
††††††††††† As I mentioned earlier on, we have an abundance of projects before us at the Museum. I feel that this would be an appropriate time to list additional projects along with their group leaders. Also we want you to be involved, more now than ever before.
††††††††††† Listed below are all the different projects and departments at the Museum with their group leaders:
1. RPO 6563†††††††††††††††††††††††††† Bill Britt
2. NYC wooden caboose†††††††† Gerry Herrmann
3. #1402††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† J.R. Mitchell
4. Yard and track work††††††††††† Ira Pollack
5. Yard maintenance†††††††††††††††† Ira Pollack
6. #1455 †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Carolyn Taylor
7. CN 660†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Jim Teer
1. Mechanical†††††††††††††††††††††††††† Justin Chapin
2. Front Desk†††††††††††††††††††††††††† Dave Lowry
3. Safety and Training†††††††††††††† John OíHern
4. Gift Shop††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Patty Osmer
5. Interior Exhibits††††††††††††††††††† Wade Roese
6. Library ††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Gerry Herrmann and
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Stan Madyda
7. Wed. Night Features††††††††††† Dan Foley
††††††††††† We have a lot on our plate, but many of these projects can succeed with your help. Iím hoping that you can contribute to our cause with your time and energy. Please contact these people and help us grow. We are looking at a new season, and before you know it, it will be here. Be part of our growth and success!