The Danbury Railway Museum
DRM logo
DRM Station
About the DRM
What to See
Feature Events
Other Things

The pumphouse at the Fairgrounds on Segar Street was erected in 1910, and was used to to provide steam locomotives with the water needed to generate steam. This photo, taken in July 1937, shows westbound NH 3212 westbound passing the pumphouse.

A pump and 5-horsepower GE motor was used to pump water into the adjacent water tower. From there, gravity fed water into two stand pipes, one beside the eastbound track and one beside the westbound track.

In the late 1940's diesel engines had become the norm, and the pumphouse had fallen into disrepair, as shown in this 1967 photo.

By 1997, the roof of the pumphouse had caved in, the water tower had burned down, and much of the structure was decayed. Museum volunteers John Ivansco, Dave McKee, Paul Gasner, and Bernie Balon worked many hours to restore the building as seen in this 1997 photo.

In October 2008, with labor and expertise provided by Jack Venning, his wife Agi, and Ray de Zara, the pumphouse was jacked up and moved to the Museum. It made quite a sight moving down Park Avenue.
In 2009, the pumphouse was erected and again restored, thanks to John Ivansco & Dave McKee. It now sits in the turntable area, and makes an excellent exhibit for riders of the Railyard Local when they stop for a ride on the turntable.


Return to home page


pmo 927-8