The Danbury Garden Club was founded in 1925 and became a Charter Member of the Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut, Inc. in 1929, www.ctgardenclubs.org. We are a member of National Garden Clubs, Inc. and The New England Region of National Garden Clubs, Inc.
The Club’s objectives are:
- To promote an interest in horticulture.
- To increase a knowledge of the artistic use of plant material.
- To sponsor civic projects.
- To further the conservation of natural resources and wildlife.
Awards Received in 2012
National Garden Clubs Awards
- Certificate of Appreciation - For participating in the NGC Awards Program
New England Region Awards
- The Marie E. Lewis Conservation of Natural Resources Tray - For work on the Lake Kenosia Buffer Gardens
The Federated Garden Clubs of Connecticut Awards
- Lucille Schavoir Silver Bowl Award - For outstanding work during the calendar year –Involvement in the City’s Lake Kenosia Buffer Gardens Project by obtaining a grant for educational signs and brochures, to be given to school classes, describing what a buffer garden does and describing the native plants which were used.
- Civic Development Citation - For Wildflower project with elementary schools
- Garden Therapy - Certificate of Achievement
- Historic, Memorial & Public Gardens - Citation for Continuing Outstanding Service
- Public Relations & Communications - Newsletters - First Place – Large Club
- Yearbook Class V (70-99 members) - Second Place
- Special Certificates - President’s Project – Historic Landscapes - Projects that Preserve and Protect Landscapes & Contributions to the Merritt Parkway Conservancy – Azalea Level
- Connecticut Tribute Award -Garden Therapy - Adele Tarlton, Danbury Garden Club
Further information regarding the Danbury Garden Club may be obtained by calling Joan on 203-778-9410 or Karen on 203-775-9643.