The Richter property, which includes the Arts Center and the golf course, was once a working farm. Bought in 1937 by Mr. and Mrs. Richter as a country home, the farm supplied fresh milk and eggs to the town each morning.
But the house itself was a center for artistic activity. Artists and musicians were welcomed and many a performance given in the gracious salon.
In 1968 the property was donated to the city by the widowed Mrs. Irene Richter as a memorial to her husband. Danbury businessman Mr. Martens Goos organized the steering committee which would establish the Stanley L. Richter Association for the Arts in 1971, a fitting legacy from a couple who were devoted to the arts and to the city of Danbury.